Phil Rae – Product Manager, Product Designer, Solution Architect
An experienced Senior Product Manager, Product Designer and Solution Architect of high-value, mission-critical tech projects in the FinTech, EdTech, and web/app development fields. A specialist in bringing effective user experience (UX) conventions to products through promoting user-centred insight, planning, design, and research strategies.
I work with businesses in any industry to help them put their users first; advising them on how to explore and apply user-centred design (UCD) principles and strategies to their products and services.
- Over 10 years of senior manager experience in Head of Product and Product Manager roles.
- Experience of working directly with key stakeholders, clients, designers and software engineers over the full SDLC (Software Development Lifecycle).
- Experience of representing Product in a dual-track agile process, including backlog grooming, sprint planning, stand-ups, and retrospectives.
- Experience of running product strategy and conceptualisation workshops with key stakeholders, to build product roadmaps and define product objectives and requirements.
- Experience of REST and RPC APIs; both designing bespoke internal and public-facing APIs (e.g. for JS-based UIs, analytics logging), and working with external supplier APIs (e.g. payment processors, shipping handling, currency exchange, property listing, CMS and CRM integrations).
- E-commerce experience of developing new stores from conceptualisation to launch; and taking ownership of existing stores for management and improvement.
- Strong knowledge of achieving efficiency gains and improving UX in serving web applications by improvements to database queries, caching, and image format manipulation.
- Effective at producing User Stories to a low-level with accompanying UI designs and well-defined acceptance criteria; capable of being used directly by a software development team.
- Experience of planning and undertaking both qualitative and quantitative user research; using data and metrics to provide insights and to back-up assumptions and recommendations that drive product improvements.
- Dual designer and developer knowledge that provides a unique point-of-view on how design decisions can influence the cost of building and maintaining a software product.
- Highly proficient in the use of Adobe Illustrator for UI design and Adobe XD and InVision for wireframing and interactive prototype creation and demonstration.
- 14 years of hands-on web development experience using LAMP-stack technologies. Highly proficient in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and MySQL (including database design and normalisation).
- Actively look to develop skills and knowledge, particularly in the UX field, by keeping up-to-date with latest industry blogs, attending tech demonstration events, and undertaking training courses.
Who I've worked with
The following is just a shortlist of some of the companies I have worked with.
See the Projects page for a more in-depth look at my involvement in a select number of projects.